Saturday, June 9, 2012

Night hike

Woke up at sun rise (6am) at the NOC's bunk house. Was on the trail at 7 to hike 9 miles up to Cheoah Bald, what a view! Ate romen noodles at the sassafras gap shelter and continued on to Cable Gap shelter. Twisted my right ankle pretty good which cut my pace significantly. The AT is filled with tripping hazards, with it's roots covered in moss, to wet boulders, and steep drop offs. Went to the Brown Fork gap shelter at 4 pm due to my ankle. Met some interesting people from Florida around dinner time. Ate three different entrees, my appetite is kicking in now for sure. My friend John showed up at 7, where he suggested we night hike to the Fontana Hilton, the nicest shelter on the AT. We night hiked for two hours where we decided to camp at the Cable Gap shelter. It was 11 by then so we set up camp and were ready to make it to the Fontana Dam in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment