Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bear Country

June 8th- 17.5 miles
Woke up early and hit the trail at 7. Not more than 30 minutes into my hike I run into 3 black bear cubs. I clank together my trekking poles as they scurried away. The entire day I clicked my poles together around corners, as to give the bears time to run away. Turns out the smokey mountains are home to the highest concentration of lack bears in the country (1600). Hiked to Rocky Top Mountain where I ate a big lunch. Got to drink a coke I had brought from the day before. Made some phone calls to family members (Amy, Mom, Grandma), hope I can reach you soon. Started hiking where I ran into a high school football team. My feet hurt and ached all day, but no blisters or hot spots. Made it to Sillers Bald shelter at 17.5 miles. There is an AT service group here, which makes for some good company. I hike 10 or so miles to Gatlinberg tomorrow, can't wait to get some much needed rest and shoes. Night

3 comments:

  1. You made it two weeks! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're moving through GSMNP pretty well. Did you stay at Double Spring Gap last night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete