Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fontana Dam

John and I left camp at 8:30 and after a couple hours of hiking, we were at the Marina outside of the Fontana Dam. Got a ride to the Fontana Resort, which is where I resupplied for my journey in the Smokey Mountains. Ate at the grill, where I got a BLT sandwich for the trail. John and I got a ride back to the Fontana Dam soon after. Checked out the Fontana Hilton. What a shelter! With its bathrooms, porch, over 24 sleeping accommodation, fire grills and water faucets. Hiked over the dam, which is the largest dam on the eastern coast. John had finished his hike, but longed to hike the full trek. We parted ways as I entered the Smokey Mountains park. Hiked up to a fire tower all the way up on a mountain. Ate my BLT up at the top. Hiked a couple hours to the Mollies Ridge shelter. I wanted to go on further but the light was failing. Set up quickly in the shelter and went to bed after hiking 20.5 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Glad a pic of me made the cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

    ReplyDelete