Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Storms a brewing, July 5th

9 mile/ 565.2-1619
Left knot maul shelter around 7. Reef and I originally planned to hike 19 miles but that didn't happen. A thunderstorm hit us half way though our hike. By far the worst storm I've experienced out here. Had to hike in the rain for a good while. Lightning and thunder appeared just as I got to a clearing. Waited for the thunder to slow down and went over the clearing. Reef and I got to a pond when the storm hit again. Rain like you wouldn't believe. Rain gear and pack cover was useless. Rain was almost sideways, with lightning going off all around us, near a bald. We stood in the tree line for over an hour, just standing in the torrential down pour, pure misery. Hiked up to chestnut knob shelter, a fully enclosed shelter. The shelter was a great way to put an end to the thunderstorm. Was able to hang out my all my wet gear. Passing out

4 comments:

  1. What humbugs we are, who pretend to live for Beauty, and never see the Dawn! ~Logan Pearsall Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers - for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are. ~Osho

    ReplyDelete
  3. In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia. ~Charles A. Lindbergh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony, you will "...remember a hundred lovely lakes, and recall the fragrant breath of pine and fir and cedar and poplar trees. The trail has strung upon it, as upon a thread of silk, opalescent dawns and saffron sunsets. It has given me blessed release from care and worry and the troubled thinking of our modern day. It has been a return to the primitive and the peaceful. Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." ~Hamlin Garland

    ReplyDelete