Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Slack packing, 23rd

Yesterday I slacked packed from Reeds Gap to Spry Rock (20 miles). Headed south on the AT back towards the Dutch hostel. Climbed the two last big mountains in Virginia, the priest and the three ridges. My day pack only contained food, water and my rain gear. The hike wasn't so bad until I was climbing the Priest. Made it half way up and heard thunder, not good considering I still had 1.5 miles to the top. Saw a huge rattlesnake next to me while hiking. The snake was at least 4 1/2 to 5 feet long. The thunderstorm hit as I was half a mile from the top, very glad I brought my rain gear. The lightning was all around me when I was at the top of the mountain, very interesting. Sprinted to the shelter another .5 miles away. Was so glad to get out of the rain. Waited the storm out then hiked on back to the hostel. Tomorrow I get dropped off at reeds gap again, this time heading north. Food and shower at the hostel was something else.

1 comment:

  1. To go against the dominant thinking of your friends, of most of the people you see every day,is perhaps the most difficult act of heroism you can perform. - Theodore H. White

    ReplyDelete